Jennifer Margulis, Ph.D., is an award-winning science journalist, Fulbright grantee, and sought-after speaker. Her writing has appeared the New York Times, the Washington Post, and on the cover of Smithsonian magazine and three of her books have won national awards. For several years she was a contributing editor for Mothering Magazine.
A meticulous researcher and science-forward writer who’s not afraid to be controversial, she is nationally known as a science journalist who opens people’s eyes to the realities behind accepted practices in health care and medicine.
Dr. Margulis is passionate about investigating the often-overlooked dangers of mainstream practices, especially when seminal evidence has been brushed aside in favor of special interests. Uncovering these issues is a matter of social justice, empowering women, and protecting Planet Earth. Through her writing she champions the rights of society’s most vulnerable: pregnant moms, babies, small children, older adults, and people on the social or economic margins.
Fluent in French, Jennifer Margulis has appeared live on prime-time TV in Paris, France to advocate for the end of child slavery in Pakistan. She was prominently featured in the documentary mini-series, The Truth About Vaccines, as well as in the PBS Frontline TV documentary, The Vaccine War. She has recently been quoted in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The Baltimore Sun, and the Deseret News.
Dr. Margulis earned a B.A. from Cornell University, a Master’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Ph.D. from Emory University.
She was awarded a highly competitive and prestigious Fulbright fellowship in 2006 and taught American literature at the University of Abdou Moumouni in Niamey, Niger (West Africa) for that academic year.
She is currently working on a book about the origin of life on Earth and the importance of the microbial world through the eyes and life of her mother, evolutionary biologist Lynn Margulis (Houghton Milton Harcourt, 2021). Read more about her at https://jennifermargulis.net.
Publications (partial list):
- The Addiction Spectrum: A Compassionate, Holistic Approach to Recovery(HarperOne), with Paul Thomas, MD
- The Vaccine-Friendly Plan: Paul’s Safe and Effective Approach to Immunity and Health, From Pregnancy Through Your Child’s Teen Years(Ballantine), with Paul Thomas, MD
- Your Baby, Your Way: Taking Charge of Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Parenting Decisions for a Happier, Healthier Family (Scribner)
- Toddler: Real-Life Stories of Those Fickle, Irrational, Urgent, Tiny People We Love(Seal Press)
- Why Babies Do That: Baffling Baby Behavior Explained(Willow Creek Press)
- The Baby Bonding Book for Dads: Building a Closer Connection to Your New Baby(Willow Creek Press), with James di Properzio
- A classroom edition of Susannah Haswell Rowson’s 18th century play, Slaves in Algiers, with Karen Poremski